Wednesday, November 3, 2010

prop19


To be blunt, politics is not my forte.

Although I live in a society where a single voice is said to make all the difference, I am not registered to vote. I've never found the need to follow politicians and listen to their speeches on how they plan to change the world. Too many politicians have let me down and voicing my opinion on a piece of paper would be a waste of time. I understand this can be detrimental to our government if everyone had my mentality, but luckily they don't.

But even though I don't vote, that doesn't mean I don't follow current events. During the election period I hear about a number of propositions trying to get passed. I am all for keeping abortion legal and supporting gay marriage. After all, choice is one of the most important things the United States has to offer.

But when it comes to Prop19, the legalizing of marijuana, I have to put my foot down. I don't believe legalizing marijuana would push California in the right direction. There are enough problems with alcohol and recreational drugs that I don't want to see an increase in emergency room visits because people are testing their limits with new drugs. There is a reason marijuana is currently illegal, how have those reasons changed?

Entering the healthcare industry means I advocate for healthy living by being drug free. Prescription and over the counter FDA approved drugs are the only ones I think people should be taking. I don't want to see Prop19 get passed. So maybe I'll get off my ass and vote. You should too.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment