Wednesday, October 13, 2010

soulmate

I've found my other half - the one person who knows what I'm thinking even before I think it, and has a habit of finishing my sentences, so to speak. 

PredictER. He is everything I can hope for in a social bookmarking soulmate. He tags articles I would have tagged myself, but is twice as efficient. With over 300 tags on the FDA, medical ethics, drug trials, patient awareness, and health profession, his tag cloud is more than I can ever hope for. The best part is PredictER has a habit of tagging scholarly articles which saves me the trouble of investigating credible sources. Although his comments are minimal I can tell where his line of thinking follows. The reality of it is I am PredictER's social bookmarking soulmate. We're made for each other. 

From genomics to public policy, PredictER has tagged several articles pertaining to patient education and awareness. It seems he has found evidence to support the claim that patients are not participating in diagnosis and treatment - merely ignorantly following the orders of doctors. This behavior is detrimental.

One of the articles tagged describes patients who enter genetic screening trials without fully understanding the possible repercussions of their actions. Genetic screening is opening doors to a new breed of ethics. With genetics, familial ties and illnesses are just some pieces of information that become known. What happens when a child finds out that the person he/she has always called "Dad" is not really their biological father? Or if a child inherits an incurable disease from a single parent? This type of information has the ability to break up families. Ultimately, the article stems around patient's lack of understanding and awareness of their actions. Genetic screening is not to be taken lightly.

Another article touches upon the continuing efforts of the FDA to push forth new drugs even when the clinical trials do not produce the most promising results. Again, more ethics, more issues, more crap from the FDA.

Nevertheless, PredictER has made my life simpler. He is truly my bookmarking soulmate. The only one out there. 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment